accomplishments (?)
In my post below you'll find the words to a homily I wrote and gave to the St. Catherine's of Sienna Church community. I was a senior at Drake and it was the last Sunday before graduation and Fr. Jim asked if I would give the homily for the senior farewell mass. I remember being in finals frenzy and most of my time was actually being put into the preparation of this homily, it was almost a bit nerve wrecking as I didn't think I'd have much advice to give, but I do remember being very well pleased with the whole experience.
I pulled up the word document that it was saved in tonight as recent conversations and church this morning had me thinking about many of the things I remember referring to. So I read the gospel and my own words again, over two years later, and now I can't help but wonder, have a really accomplished anything?
Yes, I'm using my degree, as I have a great job working as a designer for a great magazine.
But what about accomplishing the works of God? That one's tough. and I have to wonder, are we ever really suppose to know if we've actually accomplished this?
I've allowed myself to believe that impacting just a single someone's day, whether it's a large act of kindness or a simple smile, or just being an everyday example of Christ is a way in which I can slowly start to accomplish the works of God.
Upon realizing that it was 2 years ago now that I was questioning these things, for a moment I was in shock, feeling disappointed as I haven't gotten very far... but then I thought about the people I've met since then, and while I really don't know if I've made a difference at all, I do know that I've learned a lot from the people I've met and the relationships that have continued to developed and really, it's all a bit like baby steps as I continue to learn more about myself, my talents and the best way in which I can give back and accomplish the works of God that he has set out for me.
I will say that it's also interesting to re-read my words in regards to my home at St. Kate's, as it really was a wonderful place for me, and moving away from it, I find myself yearning for that community again, but as I'm questioning what church is for me, through my quest to find it, I do believe the questions, doubts, and new church going experiences are helping me to discover the Lord on a different level, even though sometimes I maybe frustrated with it all and feel I've drifted away.... in the end, I know it's all going to help me find God on a deeper level.
No comments:
Post a Comment