joy ride
on saturday I bought myself a car... a cute little Honda Fit in storm silver. It’s a four door hatch back with plenty of interior space but the perfect size to weave in and around traffic and “fit” into any parking space. He’s wonderful and Laura did a great job of picking out the perfect name... Theo, as in theo-dorable.
on friday evening I had every intention of buying the car, I had a dealer pick me up from work and drive me out to the lot where I met Dan.... who has been so great in helping me sort through all the car decisions the whole way. I test drove the Fit and then the Scion again and before I knew it, it was getting too late and Dan so graciously told me that my decision could wait.
so Saturday morning, I finally made the decision and Laura took me back to the dealer. Dan sat with me through all the financing chit chat and as I signed my name a millions times.... with in a few hours it was all said and done. To celebrate, Dan had the great idea to drive my new ride up in the mountains to big bear lake.
I probably couldn’t tell you how many times I let out the word “wow” as I know it was an embarrassing amount, but it was the only thing I could repeatedly say to express the excitement of the whole trip. As I drove my car around and up the winding curves, I couldn’t help but think.... wow, this is real. As it reminded me so much of a video race car game I recalled from my childhood. As we got further and further up, reaching an elevation of 7000 ft, the views were exceptionally breath taking. At the top was big bear lake and I don’t know how to describe it all, but there’s just something about the water that just calms my soul. So we parked Theo for a break and sat on the dock and just took it all in before we decided on having dinner at a fabulous little bbq joint. It was quite the escape... all in one day.
To wrap up the night, we grabbed some beers and sat at Dan’s place as we played a race car game on his playstation. He wanted to teach me how to drive better. As I drove up and around the winding curves, I realized that I’m really not that great at it... obviously living in Iowa, you don’t drive on such roads. Dan was a good coach though and the next trip he’s going to teach me how to use my paddle shifters.... a little perk that came with Theo.
p.s. Laura took pictures, so I'll post those soon
1 comment:
mmm. yes. and have you noticed how CA banks their curves?! it makes mountain driving so much more fun!
Post a Comment