4.05.2007

check it out.

If you'd be interested, you can find one of my blogs posted on an official site... yep, I submitted one to our on-line editor at Bon Appetit and it's posted today on the BA Blog.

As I read it myself, I noticed that I'm really not all that great at this writing thing, as I noticed how much better it is after it's been edited. But I'm not going to complain, you editors are good with words for a reason, it's amazing how one can change a few words and switch something around and the piece is all that much better.

Just because I know some of you do such things, here is the original post that I wrote.

SHORT CAKES
I love to bake. It's one of my guilty pleasures I must say. As I flip through recipes, I just can't seem to help but resist the urge to bake something myself. Most often I'll bake cookies as they are easy to share and distribute amongst friends, but I really love to make cakes.

I was an art student through school and I find there to be such similarities. The shape and layers of the cake creating a three dimensional sculpture with the frosting being much like the paint, working with it patiently to make is smooth or textured and the creative possibilities that exist when it comes to adding garnishes. Cakes really are art pieces and I must day the reward of making one is delicious.

Well, the thing is though, being a single twenty-something, unless a birthday comes around, there isn't a lot of reasons to be baking such cakes. I have done so before, but they always seem to end up sitting on the counter for longer than it needs with only a few slices cut from it each day.

Recently though, I discovered the concept of what I like to call as short cakes. I've realized that I can halve the recipe and make the perfect size cake for a few of my friends and I. Instead of using two round cake pans, I just fill one and make a single layer cake. Or I've used a loaf pan and then cut the cake in half and split the halves to make what I like to call a little four layer box cake.


I will admit though, I'm still a little partial to some of my words. Don't you love the addition of the recipe links in the BA version though... it is a business, those things are almost required.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

After reading both articles I must say that I like the original much better :)

Anonymous said...

The original takes the cake- definitely!! (Pun intended!!) :)
Yours is much better.

Anonymous said...

Oop.. it's Gina again..