4.20.2007

dictionary

ok. if you’ve been reading my blog, you may notice that I am a bit obsessed with dictionaries. I love them. I really think it’s my favorite book.

I just acquired another dictionary from the freebie table at work. I now own three. It’s fun sometimes to look up and compare how the different dictionaries word or phrase the definitions, you can tell the difference in the years they were published too. Two of them are older and also have fun little illustrations to go with some of the words... which gives me reason to love these books even more.

Of course computers make it even that much easier, with widgets and dictionary.com bookmarked, I can so instantly look things up. Which I often don’t know why I have such a desire to do so, but I do find it all to be very interesting.

Come to think of it, through college, the dictionary was my go to book for inspiration and research. With most projects I was assigned, if you’d look through my sketch books, you wouldn’t find many doodles or roughs, but more so lists of words and their definitions as I’d make connections and form a concept.

As I brought my new dictionary home the other day, I found myself actually just reading it, flipping the pages, searching for the great illustrations, learning new words and understanding others better, getting ideas for new projects and jotting them down.

seriously, I think I just might have an idea for a cute little book. something with a title like visual semantics. just an idea, we’ll see. maybe somday.

No comments: