4.24.2007

who knew

Today I got off of work at 1:00... apparently there was a big protest that was going to happen outside of our building at 3:00, so knowing that traffic would be difficult, they let us all go home.

I found out that the protest was in recognition of the Aremenian Genocide. Apparelty, the eastern part of Hollywood is known as "Little Armenia" and on April 24th Armenian-Americans gather to take part in a protest for the recognition of the Armenian Genocide.

The Armenian Genocide is actually know as the first true genocide, when over a million Armenians were killed by the government of Young Turks from 1915 to 1917 in the Ottoman Empire.

We are all well aware of the Holocaust events that took place under Adolph Hitler, but I don't ever recall being taught anything about the Armenian Genocide through school... unless it's a chapter of world history that I completely skipped over, but more than not, I just find it interesting to think how history is presented to us through history books...

No comments: