3.18.2007

an amazing ride

I just got home from a most amazing day. I have so many thoughts running through my head and my first reaction was to start blogging them out, and as my mind is going a mile a minute trying to recap all that happened, I’m trying to figure out just how to start. Can I possible wrap it up into one post, there are so many moments that I could elaborate on that would be a post in themselves, but time is never enough and where this goes for now.

As I’ve realized before and I’ll say again, I’ve met some of the most amazing people in my lifetime and I love the fact that moments do come around to see those people again. Most of the time in instances I wouldn’t always expect... making the moment all that more special in the end.

Christian Millman is an amazing guy and today I was fortunate enough to spend the day being his tour guide of LA. He is one of the feature editors at BHG whom unfortunately I never had the opportunity to work closely with during my time there. Well, it just so happened that he was in LA for a conference and he had Sunday off to spend with me. I met him at his hotel at 10 am and we spent the next twelve hours seeing as much of LA as we possible could. He had rented a little mini coop and started the day with an amazing drive along Muholland Hwy through the mountainous canals and out to the pacific coast through Malibu to stop for lunch at Duke’s where the oceans waves crash against the rocks just below our tables (( yes, the sign above our table warned us that they were not responsible for parties getting wet))

From there we continued along the Pacific Coast Hwy to head to the Getty Museum, but before we got there we drove through a neighborhood in Beverly Hills as Christian let me drive and gave me a lesson on driving a stick shift. I must say it was all very thrilling and being my first time ever using a stick, Christian did say I have plenty to brag about as I apparently did quite well ((not even knowing it, I was able to start from third gear!!?!!!?!! )) I will admit, I never understood why anyone would want to drive a stick when an automatic can just do it all for you..... well, I now know, there’s something pretty cool about having that control of a car, getting the feel of the car and how it works and understanding the moment of when to release the clutch, it’s a different language and almost as if you are sharing a conversation with the car. Christian was a great teacher and explained things well for me to understand, he said he wants to teach his boys how to drive using a clutch ((his oldest son Jacob will soon be a teenager)) ... I must say they are pretty lucky to have a dad like Christian to coach them through it and I’m excited for the memories that it will create for the both of them. I’ll say for myself that I won’t forget what I was taught and can’t wait for the opportunity to drive a stick shift again!

We then made it to the Getty, which is one of my favorite places to take someone in LA... the place as a whole is breath taking and one I think everyone should experience even if you don’t understand or appreciate art in a way others may.

From there we headed back to the city and put our name in at Lucques for an 8pm table and spend a few hours before so walking around and enjoying the sight and sounds of the so called farmer’s market and shops at the Grove.

Dinner at Lucques just so happened to be served Sunday supper style and was one of the most amazing moments of the day ((yes, you all know, I am a foodie at heart)) I will say that Christian just may agree as after his first bite I do believe his words were “I need a moment.”

All and all, I truly must say that the shared conversation was what I’ll treasure most about the day. I’ve only been in LA for four months now and during that time I’ve had 3 visitors come in which I’ve been able to take them sight seeing around LA. I love these moments because (A) it gives me a reason to go out and explore the city and appreciate it all over again, but most importantly (B) I get to spend that one on one time with that individual, sharing conversation, showing them the sights and pondering our thoughts. It makes me happy.

A few things that Christian and I touched on and things I’d love to blog about if I wasn’t ready to drift away to sleep. But maybe if you are lucky and time allows someday, you can look forward to post with titles as such.

• sunday suppers
• it’s OK to cry
• once men turn 30
• what’s in a painting
• flower shops, bakeries, magazines and parenting

Before I wrap things up and reflect on what else I may want to say, I’m trying to recall what I heard in the readings today during early morning service and unfortunately, I hate to admit, I wasn’t very focused on it at the time, but the one thing I can recall is the responsorial psalm which said.... “taste and see the goodness of the Lord.” What could be more fitting for the day as Christian and I not only saw but tasted many wonderful things and from everything that I took away from the day, I can’t help but thank the Lord for the goodness He brings.

No comments: