3.09.2007

the foodie in me

I've come to realize that I often like to blog about food. Yes, it is part of my job, and I'm constantly surrounded by it... but I really just chuckle at myself sometimes at how much I really enjoy it. The other night Dre, one of Laura's roommates, wanted to cook together, so I found a recipe for gnocchi... something that would be fun to do together, plus it's something that I've never made and a dish I fell in love with during my trip to Italy. I found an aspargus lemon sauce to toss the gnocchi with and topped it off with some fried prosciutto... it was pretty good. I made the dumplings too big and the sauce could use a little something, but the girls were impressed, and amazed as it's something they'd never do (the live on mac-n-cheese, hot dogs and lean pockets... it makes me happy to feed them well)

Last night Dre and I went to this new bar/restaurant called the Village Idiot... despite the name, it's a very classy place and in walking distance, so we'll definitely visit frequently I'm sure. While we were there, we ran into some of Dre's neighbors and as we talked about what we do, they mentioned that they were making a St. Patrick's dinner on friday night and invited us to join them.... of course, my initial reaction was "what can I bring?" and of course, I offered to make dessert. Again, I'm just amazed at this simple joy of mine and very pleased that I've had so many opportunities to make and prepare such wonderful dishes to share with others.

I know I've always enjoy cooking/baking, but since I've moved out here to LA, I've really been able to see this joy shine. As I reflect, and think back to my time in Des Moines, I realize I never really had a chance to cook for others. There were a few parties I'd host and always birthday cakes, but not many nights of cooking dinner for someone. I'd make something from time to time for my roommate Janelle, but she had her own schedule and for part of the time was on this diet plan. I remember that I often worked late, but can recall moments of leaving the fitness room with Andrea, and as she would talk about what she had planned to make for her husband Adam, being a bit jealous I'd just head back to my office because there was always work to be done, but honestly, it gave me something to do as at that time it still bothered me to make a meal just for myself. Then I met Greg, who is an amazing chef and spoiled me with wonderful dinners. There were a few times that I was able to cook for him and I just laugh at myself now because I'd be so nervous about it. I'd have no problem making something for him now, I've been able to build up my confidence in my cooking ability and hope that someday the opportunity will arrise for me to make something wonderful for him in return. Of course I still rely on recipes when making something to share, but when it's just me, that's when I get to experiment with flavors and toss things together... I'm still learning and enjoying it all.

As I wrap up this post, I just have to say, I realize there's something about being able to create something that I can give to others that I love so much. It makes me feel good inside knowing that I can take the time to use my hands and passions to prepare something that brings joy to others. This joy doesn't just exist in my foodie nature, as I remember that I need to mail out some birthday packages this weekend and I'm all excited about making the cards and wrapping the gifts... yes, another silly joy of mine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bex, I read your last two posts about the joy you get from working with your hands. This brings me back to freshman year English with Mrs. Elkins.. you wrote a moving piece about your grandpa Nemmers and the last few words were about how you enjoyed doing things with your hands and could feel him working through you. It was nice to go back... :)

becca said...

thanks Gina! I love it how you remember these things about me. Yes, I do realize so much about who I am, the skills I have and what I love comes from my family and the way I was raised. I truely have been blessed!