looking forward
The readings today come from Isaiah and Paul, I’m always amazed at these words we read that have truely stood the test of time. How interesting is it to see the parallels from both the readings despite the amount of years that have passed between them and even more so, how they still relate to us today.
Isaiah (43:18-19) writes ”Remember not the events of the past, the things of long ago consider not; see, I am creating somthing new. There it is! Do you see it? I have put roads in deserts, streams in thirsty lands.”
On the same note, Paul writes in his letter to the Philippians (3:12-16) ”forgetting what lies behind but straining foward to what lies ahead, I continue my pursuit towards the goal, the prize of God’s upward calling, in Christ Jesus.”
As I think about these readings, I find it encouraging as I realize that for myself, I tend to look forward (as you all know, I am quite the dreamer).
I often remember moments of going back to Remsen, meeting up with friends and being surrounded by conversations and stories reflecting on the good ol’ days of high school fun. Of course, I understand and enjoy reminiscing myself, but I often find it to be a bit disheartening, as it seems it’s always the same, the same stories and laughter being shared as they all sit around and think about their glory days. I know I didn’t particularily enjoy high school all the much, but even as I think of the times in my life that I enjoyed, for example Drake, I don’t find myself getting wrapped up in what that was and wanting to go back. I realize that even when I do get together with my girlfreinds from Drake, we really don’t spend much time reminiscing. We often like to get caught up on what we’re learning now and the new dreams and hopes we have for what’s to come next.
Of course I understand that the events of the past are what brings us to where we are now and know that the people we meet and the lessons we learn along the way share a significant role in how we move forward. I can’t say I completely agree with Isaiah and Paul though, as I don’t feel we necessarily need to forget, but more so just remember that we shouldn’t dwell on what the past was.
I must say for myself, I find it excited to look forward, as I believe there’s so much yet to look forward to. Life is such a beautiful thing and I find it comforting to think that there are still better days to come, I find hope in that and I know that if I continue to look to the Lord and trust Him, I will someday find the roads in the desert and see the streams in thirsty lands and one day reach the prize of God’s calling...
As Paul also states in his letter, ”It is not that I have already taken hold of it or have already attained perfect maturity, but I continue my pursuit in hope that I may reach it.”
No comments:
Post a Comment